Click here to download the Student Group Leadership Orientation presentation.
Sign up to receive email updates from the Student Activities Committee by filling out this form
How To Create A Student Group @ Brown:
Congratulations! You have now begun the process of creating an official student group at Brown University. Please review the information contained in THIS presentation
All Fall Applications must be submitted by FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22nd, 2013.
Click here for the categorization document
Click here for the re-categorization document
Drafting your group’s constitution: What to include
- Name of the organization.
- Statement of purpose, including nature of departmental, administrative, legal, religious, political, or financial affiliations without which the organization would not exist (where applicable).
- Description of membership and definition of membership. Must include: 1) verbatim the non-discrimination statement on attached constitution format, unless specifically exempted in Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, and 2) a statement requiring majority membership to consist of full-time undergraduate Brown students.
- Description of Officer positions or structure of leadership. Officers must be currently enrolled full-time undergraduate Brown students.
- Election of Officers (where applicable).
- Organizational financial responsibilities (where applicable). If activity fee funded, must include verbatim the Student Activity financial responsibility statement on attached constitution format; if non-activity fee funded, must include a description of the financial account structure and the financial obligations of membership.
- Description of duties of official advisor (where applicable).
- Amendment procedure. Must include verbatim the UCS amendment statement on attached constitution format.
- The Category’s required number of signatures of members of the organization who are full-time undergraduate Brown students.
If there are any constitutional changes un-resolvable at the general body meeting as deemed necessary by council before approving the constitution, the group must begin the process again, restarting the entire process.
The constitution of the newly constituted group will receive an official stamp indicating the date of its approval, its category, and the signature of the Student Activities Chairperson. It shall be the responsibility of this chairperson to forward a copy of this constitution to the Student Activities Office and to the Undergraduate Finance Board, if the group in question is a Category 2 or 3 group.
A group wishing to appeal the decision of the Student Activities Committee may submit a written request and reasons for the appeal to the UCS Student Activities Chairperson within fourteen (14) days of the date of the Student Activities Committee’s original decision. The group shall have a hearing with the UCS Student Activities Committee within fourteen (14) days after the Student Activities Chairperson has received the appeal. Upon closure of this hearing, if there are at least one-fourth (1/4) minority vote of the Student Activities Committee approving of the constitution, the constitution will be brought before general body at the next regularly scheduled meeting. If a minority of the Student Activities Committee approves of the constitution, a member of the majority opinion will report the majority’s reservations to the general body before its decision. The group’s written appeal will be submitted to all council members.
A group wishing to appeal the decision of general body may submit a written request and reasons for the appeal to the UCS Student Activities Chairperson within fourteen (14) days of the date of the general body original decision. The group shall have a hearing with the UCS Student Activities Committee within fourteen (14) days after the Student Activities Chairperson has received the appeal. The Student Activities Chairperson will submit the decision of the Student Activities Committee and the groups written appeal to the general body at the next regularly scheduled meeting after the appeal.
Amendment and Category Changes:
A group wishing to change its constitution or category must submit an amended constitution and complete the Student Group Re-categorization Application. In addition these student groups must also attend a Student Activities Forum and meet with their Student Activities Committee representative.
Student Activities Representatives and Their Classification Specialities:
Below please see the UCS Sudent Activities Representative that you must contact to begin a group or move up in categorization. They will best help you with any questions and should be utilized as a resource. It is our hope that each group fulfills a distinct purpose in the Brown Undergraduate community and your respective UCS SA Rep will aid you in the application process. NOTE: Your group application will need the signature of the UCS SA Rep that corresponds to your group classification.
- Jonathan Vu - Cultural & Ethnic Rep
- Jay Kim- Political & Social Action Rep
- Sarah Shrader - Media and Publications
- Stacy Bartlett - Campus Resources & Recreational Sports Rep
- Asia Nelson - Academic & Pre-Professional Rep
- Da Huang- Service Rep
- Pierre Eid-Alexander - Residential and Greek Life Rep
- Noelle Spencer - Gender & Sexuality Rep/ Art and Performance Rep.
- E-Soo Kim - Religious & Spiritual Rep